Monday, June 15, 2015

Design Evaluation


A topic I could talk about for hours: hair products. One of my favorite parts of being a hairdresser was getting to play with hair products all day.

I was obsessed with the brand Bumble & Bumble. I even ended up assisting with an educator for Bb after hair school.

Looking at the brand with a designer's mind, I can definitely say part of my attraction was the logo and the brand image, and the packaging design. The logo utilizes the concept of simplicity in the black and white color choice. The handwritten, loopy font is a fun play on lines and curves in the design. The use of the Bb in the logo is a clever alliteration of the brand name.


I adore the variation of the logo with the bright colors to signify the hair color care line. Once again, the packaging  is very simple, with very little use of color. By only using a little bit of color, the impact is more meaningful. The containers look cute and coordinate well because they all match — I want this sitting in my bathroom! Plus, the hair product smell divine, which is another sensory factor that sells the brand.

Kérastase is another high-end hair product brand that is salon exclusive. I am just not as drawn to this brand visually. The logo is boring. The typography choice screams classy and Parisian, but to be honest, it just reminds me too much of L'Oreal. If I am paying around $40 a bottle for shampoo, I want it to be pretty!



The packaging is okay. I like the shiny lids and I chose a photo with products that are in one of my favorite colors, but I still think the effect is more on the conservative  (blah) side. The fact everything is in French adds to the allure of foreign = better, but effect is lost on me. I see very little creative design elements, other than the contrast of matte and shiny and the wide lids on the three bottles. 

To be honest, I think Kérastase is a better product overall, but I am going to pick Bumble because it looks cute and I like the way it smells. 













No comments:

Post a Comment